Sunday 29 March 2009

KOALA!!

So I have had THE BEST couple of days!!

Yesterday Kara and I went girly shopping which resulted in me buying a new dress (yes, you heard me right....a dress!) We went to Kara's mum's house for a wee snack and for me to meet her mum. Everyone has been so welcoming to me and made me feel part of the group, it's quite overwhelming! We ended up getting a bottle of champagne and tanned that back home. Kara was making dinner for us last night, so we headed round to her house at night. For those of you that don't know, yesterday was Earth Hour day, which basically means that you have to turn off everything in your house for one hour in a stand against global warming. We managed to time it right so that dinner was ready during Earth Hour and we sat out the back in candlelight eating Apricot Chicken, which was just WOW! I've not had such a laugh in a long time! Jason had taken his guitar with him and the 3 of us sat outside until 2am singing 3 part harmonies to loads of different songs! We rawked!! Whilst sitting in candlelight in Kara's back garden a possum jumped up onto Kara's fence and was sitting watching us! I got the fright of my life!! It was soooo cute! We put a grape out for it and it took it and ran up a tree, to come back down a bit later. Nature at it's best. I couldn't believe it! I was like a little girl, so excited!

Today Jason and I went to Cleland Wildlife Park in Adelaide Hills, which is literally a 20 minute drive from the centre of Adelaide. The weather here has been about 35 degrees, so you can imagine it's been quite warm (I erm...am burnt a wee bit - sorry mum!) **Just a side note for those who don't know...the sun burns you quicker here because Australia has no o-zone layer so we are closer to the sun and so it is more intense...not good for those with high risk skin, etc!** So we got to the park and when we paid to get in they were offering pellet food for the kangaroo's at $1 each...I didn't quite grasp what that meant until we went into the park!

It's literally loads of huge fields and paddocks full of kangaroo's, emu's, birds, little rat thingies (i can not remember their names!) and Koala's! I couldn't believe you could just walk amongst them! Well, seeing as Jason is quite the animal lover, straight away we were in amongst the HUGE kangaroo's and we managed to hand feed them! I was so excited I nearly peed my pants!! (I've got photo's on FB). After a while of doing that we went into another field and there were Emu's walking around us. Now i'm 5'4 and these emu's were bigger than me! Jason straight away started feeding them, but I was a bit of a wimp and wouldn't go near them. The Emu initially was walking straight at me and was cacking my pants! I think it's because it could sense my fear, but I slowly backed away and faced being called a scaredy cat by Jase....there was no way it was gonna try and take food off me!

So, just when I thought my excitement level couldn't get any higher, we walked round the corner to the Koala section! There was a queue which we joined....to pet the koala's and get your photo taken with them!!!! It was so cute and just sat there whilst we pet it! Again, photo's on FB (please leave me a comment if you want to see the photo's on facebook, but don't know where to find them - I'll send you a link).

Then, just to push me right over the edge on the drive back down the Hills, I spotted THREE WILD KOALA's up the trees at the side of the road! I stupidly (in my excitement) shouted KOALA! at the top of my lungs and nearly made Jason crash the car, but hey, it was the first one i've ever seen in the wild! It's just so awesome that the wildlife is just right there for everyone to enjoy! You just wouldn't get that in Scotland! I am so completely in love with this place! LOL especially the sun!!

I've just been looking through the photo's and i'm gonna post the picture of the kangaroo that we were petting. It's so well posed, you'd think that it was a costume with a real person inside.....trust me, this is the real deal!



Right, well I'm off to put some cream on my burnt shoulders and make dinner! We're going to a concert on Tuesday night. The artist is called Sia Furler. She's an australian artist and has a really brilliant voice. Can't wait!

Rhona out.

1 Comment:

  1. Jules said...
    So where are the pictures then Missy?

    Don't you fall for Australia too much! the UK rocks too........doesn't it? :D

Post a Comment